Monday, September 12, 2011

Nov. 24-Dec. 1: The Thanksgiving Tales of Four Loko

Posted By on Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 11:25 AM

[image-1]One Loko…Aw yeah, what we up to tonight? I just got me the last pack of Four Loko down at Bill’s Friendly Market. You hear they been bannin’ that stuff all over? Man, good thing they did, or I’d’a never heard of it, know what I’m sayin’? So I got some Four Loko, gonna get a good buzz on, head on down to Fairfax to see the Jacka. It’s like the Austin of Marin County, Fairfax. Or more like Amsterdam. Ooh! This Four Loko is some sick-ass drink. Do they really be drinkin’ this in New York City? You ever had it? Big-ass blast of caffeine and alcohol in one slug. Ugh! I mean, I guess it’s better’n mixing Folgers and PBR, but damn! Oh well, whatever it takes to get lit for my boy the Jacka. He gonna be settin’ it off for the Fairfax blazers on Saturday, Nov. 27, at 19 Broadway Niteclub. 19 Broadway, Fairfax. 10pm. $20. 415.459.1091. [image-2]Two Loko… Dude, you know what? I think I’m’a chill out instead. This Four Loko, man, it’s goin’ on. I met these girls at Jasper O’Farrell’s last week said they were goin’ to see this Shotgun Wedding Quintet band or something. I think it’s tonight. Maybe they wanna share some Four Loko with me, get a lil’ faded with a guy. I, like, stumbled in to one of those Shotgun things once and it was tight, like dudes rapping over jazz, but then it went into some Michael Jackson and then some Pharcyde stuff. Here’s the facts: I got the Four Loko and the girls are gonna be there. FACT. Like Brian Wilson. You seen that? FACT. Ha! Le’ss go over there and bring the Four Loko, bro, for the Shotgun Wedding bros with 808 bros an’ Radioactive bro on Friday, Nov. 26, at the Hopmonk Tavern. 230 Petaluma Ave., Sebastopol. 9pm. $13. 707.829.7300. [image-3]Three Loko…Awwwww yeeeaaahahhhah! Four Loko is the jam! I just drove to Old Chicago an’ ordered two pizzas! One to eat and one to friggin’ throw at a car! I jus’ went into the bathroom and took a bite out of the mirror! Four Loko! I’m gonna set my watch back five hours an’ watch Yo Gabba Gabba reruns an’ then catch up to fake time at 4am OooOFfF! Sorry, did I fell down zze stairs? Whazzzat over there? Big movie place. No, wait, not movie. Roy Rogers. On a horse? Wha? Oh, the side guitar. Not side? Slide. Slide guitar! Slidewinder Roy! Well lookout world, tonight’s the night I get down with Roy! Sing the blues, brother! Whoo-hoo! I got the Four Loko blues, can’find my own shoes, I’m gonna be sick but les’s go to Jack in the Box first on Saturday, Nov. 27, at the Mystic Theatre. 21 Petaluma Blvd. N., Petaluma. 8pm. $20. 707.765.2121. Four Loko!Juuuuuiiiiiiiiiccccccccyyyyyyyyy! Where’s the more Four Loko f’r t’night? Text the Four Loko man t’ come an’ bring it. For me. More Loko. I jus’ wann stay here ’n lay down. Here in the urban jungle. Stay here naked. Eat mangoes naked. Eat mangoes naked! Da’s a book m’ mom had. Silly thing ’bout livin’ your own way doin’ whacho want. Juicy life! Dere’s no mangoes. How’n cab I eat d mangoes naked if’n no mango? I cannot have a da mango? What the FOUR LOKO!!!! Who said it? Chris Kattannnnnnnn. No! Fark ur like Sark ur like . . . somethin’. Dayyuumm I be honesss I be hella wasted on the Loko an’ all I want is t’ cuddle up to th’ book with the mangoes and the naked. Sark Sark Sark. Eat Sarkity Sark Sark mangoes on the goodbye Sarky Tuesday, Nov. 30, at Copperfield’s Books. 138 N. Main St., Sebastopol. 7pm. Free. 707.823.2618.
  • Pin It

Friday, September 9, 2011

Sept. 12: Marianne Aya Omac and Joan Baez at 142 Throckmorton

Posted By on Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 9:08 AM

images_q_tbn_ANd9GcSnIg8ZnWqchVyXJXRSiFG3Jh22Hb0N7KtsWKVFc0noEUoE7b9Yfg
At the age of 12, Marianne Aya Omac was given an important gift: a copy of Joan Baez’s Live in Europe. On the streets of her native Montpelier, France, Omac sang and sang and sang, spreading a fire that started with Baez’s initial spark. Eventually, Baez herself heard Omac’s powerful voice, and this year, she brings the young folksinger to the States. Baez and Omac make a joint appearance on Monday, Sept. 12, at 142 Throckmorton. 142 Throckmorton, Mill Valley. 7:30pm. $28–$40. 415.383.9600.
  • Pin It

Sept. 10: Fiesta de Independencia at the Wells Fargo Center

Posted By on Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 9:06 AM

images_q_tbn_ANd9GcSa-5_aSF1_LxWYoUaSJM8KXrDcxiLijSTgxb4-wrMRcO5YqFqK
“When are you going to open a restaurant?” I’ve asked this question at least four times to the family, always at community events. “Oh,” they say, “maybe someday.” In the meantime, they serve damn good tacos, enchiladas and pastries, all from handed-down recipes. The last time I ran into them was at last year’s Fiesta de Independencia, a giant event with mariachi bands, community networking, booths, kids’ playgrounds and plenty of food. Hopefully they’ll return on Saturday, Sept. 10, at the Wells Fargo Center. 50 Mark West Springs Road, Santa Rosa. 1–6pm. Free. 707.546.3600.
  • Pin It

Sept. 10: Iris Dement at the Sebastopol Community Center

Posted By on Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 9:04 AM

images_q_tbn_ANd9GcT7UX-JKhJbWn4gFlHFDi4a-re37cssLmtksXGNUjXtn_BHA0qrig
Before her last album, a collection of gospel standards released seven years ago, fans had weathered an eight-year drought, wondering if she’d record again. However intermittent her output may be, there’s a reason to stick along for the ride with Iris Dement—she’ll sing three notes and it’ll last for years. Here’s hoping she’ll play some new material, among songs from the wonderful records Infamous Angel and My Life, on Saturday, Sept. 10, at the Sebastopol Community Center. 390 Morris St., Sebastopol. 8pm. $25–$28. 707.823.1511.
  • Pin It

Sept. 9: James Hill and Friends at Napa Valley Opera House

Posted By on Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 9:02 AM

YouTube is full of novelty performers covering well-known hits in wry fashion, but James Hill’s version of “Billie Jean” just might outpace them all. With the bass line looped and a drum beat running, Hill speak-sings the song while strumming . . . a ukulele! Hill headlines the weekend-long Wine Country Ukulele Festival with his ear-catching versions of “Flight of the Bumblebee,” “One Note Samba” and the world-famous “Super Mario Bros. Theme” on Friday, Sept. 9, at the Napa Valley Opera House. 1030 Main St., Napa. 8pm. $25–$50. 707.226.7372.
  • Pin It

Sept. 7-14: Across the Bridge

Posted By on Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Dr. John

The unceasing night tripper growls out the spirit of organ- and piano-fueled New Orleans. Sep 7-9 at Yoshi's Oakland.She Wants Revenge

Band seemingly custom-geared for Live 105 airplay appears with DJ from Live 105. Sep 8 at Rickshaw Stop.Ke$ha

Concert moved from a 7,000-seat venue to a 2,800-seat venue. Just sayin'. Sep 9 at the Fox Theater.Def Leppard

80s rockers pour some sugar on classic hits. With openers Heart. Sep 9 at Shoreline Amphitheatre.Rancid

East bay stalwarts mine their deep 40 oz. well of street punk anthems. Sep 10 at the Warfield.

More San Francisco events found by subscribing to the email newsletter at www.sfstation.com.

• Pin It

Friday, September 2, 2011

Sept. 4: Oyster & Fog Festival at Rocker Oysterfeller's

Posted on Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 12:15 AM

images_q_tbn_ANd9GcTiV8jvT7opDu83ILVIckCQpt4HJ08r9TkXqzse92B2qe2GYnp-nQ
Hopefully the sun will come out for bit—just in time for the solid lineup of Americana bands set to play the Oyster & Fog Festival 2011. Tiny Television, Easy Leaves, Stratospheres and others provide the entertainment, while one of Valley Ford’s most charming dining establishments knocks out barbecue oysters straight off the grill, fried green tomatoes, shrimp po’ boys and other delicious treats. Slurp up them oysters on Sunday, Sept. 4, at Rocker Oysterfeller’s. 14415 Hwy. 1, Valley Ford. 12pm. $15. 707.876.1983.
  • Pin It

Sept. 1: DJ Shortkut at Hopmonk Tavern

Posted on Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 12:10 AM

When Invisibl Skratch Piklz first started coming up in the Bay Area, minds nationwide were blown. It was turntablism at its finest—three incredibly talented dudes spinning and scratching records and creating sounds never heard before in live performances that were like a force of nature. DJ Shortkut was one of the collective’s members, alongside DJ Qbert and Mixmaster Mike. He brings his legendary and fiery record-scratching skills to Juke Joint on Thursday, Sept. 1, at the Hopmonk Tavern. 230 Petaluma Ave., Sebastopol. 10pm. $7. 707.829.7300.
  • Pin It

Aug. 31: San Francisco Mime Troupe at Mill Valley Community Center

Posted on Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 12:09 AM

poster_2012themusical72dpi.gif
When I was a kid, Shields and Yarnell ruled the school. I’d do that “trapped in a box and can’t get out” routine on a disturbingly regular basis. But make no mistake, the 52-year-old San Francisco Mime Troupe won’t be doing any of that silly stuff when they bring 2012: The Musical to Mill Valley. “We are satirists seeking to make you laugh at the absurdities of contemporary life,” they declare; see them on Wednesday, Aug. 31, at the Mill Valley Community Center. 180 Camino Alto, Mill Valley. 6:30pm. Free. 415.285.1717.
  • Pin It

Sept. 3-5: Sausalito Art Festival in Marinship Park

Posted By on Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 12:01 AM

images_q_tbn_ANd9GcTcw8KFVkwc6BTJvQrqW9sHwUY4Fb68aQ7eGFENfM3msUr9CxCbOg
If the only reason you’re headed to the Sausalito Art Festival is for the live music, you’re in for a treat: you’ve got to walk through rows and rows of world-class art to get to the main stage. I know—you just want to see Men Without Hats, Edgar Winter, the Human League, Kenny Loggins, Montrose or the Smithereens, right? Just make sure to check out the hundreds of oils, sculptures, watercolors, pastels and mixed-media along the way on Saturday–Monday, Sept. 3–5, at Marinship Park, Sausalito. 10am–6pm. $15-$25. 415.332.3555.
  • Pin It